Resources for International Applicants

Prospective Students

When you’re ready to apply for admission to a graduate program at the University of Minnesota Duluth, be sure to visit the pages below.

Admitted Students

Congratulations on your admission to a graduate program at the University of Minnesota Duluth! To ensure that your travel and arrival experience is as seamless as possible, be sure to complete the following steps:

Arrival to UMD

International graduate students with assistantships should plan to arrive at least 7 days before the start date of your assistantship contract so that you can apply for your social security number and complete all University employment procedures no later than the first day of your contract. UMD contract start dates are linked here. 

NOTE:  If you do not have an assistantship you should arrive early enough to find housing and get settled before the first day of classes. 

Fall 2024 Orientation

  • Graduate Student Orientation is scheduled for Thursday, August 22, 2024. The schedule will be linked here when it is available. This general orientation covers topics such as graduate student services and campus resources, as well as health insurance information and enrollment for new graduate assistants with eligible appointments. There is no general Graduate Student Orientation in spring. Check with your program about any program-specific orientation sessions.
  • There is also a mandatory international graduate student orientation in fall and spring. You will receive information about this from the International Student Services Office.

Document Check

All new and transfer students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to attend Document Check to verify their immigration status after their arrival on campus. Students will not be allowed to register for classes until they complete Document Check. Visit the Document Check page on the International Student Services Office website for complete information.

Students with Transfer I-20s should contact the International Student Services Office.

Other Resources for International Graduate Students