Funding Your Graduate Studies

Teaching assistantships, research assistantships, fellowships, and loans provide the most common forms of support for graduate students. You should contact the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) in your program of interest to find out what assistantships or fellowships are available through the program. You may be asked to submit this Application for Graduate Assistantship, but check with your program first, as they may have a different form.

Graduate assistants holding appointments as teaching assistants, research assistants, or administrative fellows may be eligible for tuition benefits, resident rate privileges, and the Graduate Assistant Health Plan, depending on the percentage of their appointment. See our Graduate Assistant Resources page for more details.

Degree-seeking domestic graduate students are also eligible to apply for financial aid, primarily loans, to help pay for graduate school. Please be aware that University of Minnesota certificate programs generally are not eligible for financial aid. For more information, visit the following UMD OneStop pages:

The central Graduate School also describes opportunities for funding for prospective and current students. Please note that some US scholarship, grant, fellowship, and loan programs are not open to international students.

For University employees with 75 - 100% appointments:  Regents Scholarship benefits are available to help support your graduate study.

Other Funding Opportunities 

  • The Duluth Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) offers several scholarships each year to qualifying graduate students. The due date is generally June 1; check their website for the most current information.