English Proficiency Requirements

English Language Proficiency Test Information

International and domestic applicants whose first language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency.  In addition, federal immigration regulations prohibit the University from issuing a visa document to any student who has not satisfied this requirement.

The chart below provides the University's minimum  requirements for the different English language proficiency tests. However, your graduate program may have higher requirements and may not accept all items listedBe sure to check your program's English proficiency requirements before you apply.

Type of English proficiency evidenceUniversity Minimum Requirement for Admission
The TOEFL iBT may be taken at the test center or at home.
  • 79 total score.
  • Writing subscore of 21
  • Reading subscore of 19
  • Submit scores from ONE test date. The University of Minnesota does not accept MyBest Scores.
  • Test date must be within 2 years of program start date.

To submit your TOEFL scores
Request an electronic score report using the institution codes below: TOEFL scores must be sent electronically from ETS to the University of Minnesota institution codes below:

Twin Cities and Rochester campus: 6874
Duluth campus: 6873

The IELTS or IELTS Online tests are accepted.
  • 6.5 total score
  • Writing subscore of 6.5
  • Reading subscore of 6.5
  • Test date within 2 years of program start date

To submit your IELTS Scores

Official IELTS scores can be sent electronically to the Graduate Admissions Office. When prompted, please select University of Minnesota Graduate Admissions All Campuses from the drop-down menu.

Official IELTS scores for applicants to any campus can also be sent by physical mail to the Graduate Admissions Office. When prompted, please enter the following address:

University of Minnesota Twin Cities Graduate Admissions
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455


 Minimum Scores for Admission

  • Overall Score: 115 or above
  • Literacy Subscore: 115 or above

Refer to the Duolingo instructions for submitting your scores to the University of Minnesota.

PTE or Cambridge C1 Advanced ExamsVisit the central Graduate School Admissions Office's English Language Proficiency website for more information.
Secondary School EducationIf you completed secondary school in the U.S. or in a country on  this list,* then you satisfy the basic English language proficiency requirements.
Post-secondary Education

You satisfy the English proficiency requirement if you completed post-secondary coursework in the U.S. or a country on this list,* and the coursework:

  • Consists of least 16 semester credits or 24 quarter credits,
  • Does not include ESL coursework, and
  • Was completed within the past 2 years, and
  • Was completed while you were living in the US or one of the countries listed above while completing all of the credits.

Visit the central Graduate School Admissions Office's English Language Proficiency website for more information on English proficiency requirements and the tests noted above.

Additional Testing for Teaching Assistants

Please note that graduate teaching assistants must also meet a minimum English speaking proficiency requirement. Contact the Graduate Office with any questions.

Official English Proficiency Exam scores are required before visa documents can be issued, and before course enrollment.   

Score reports uploaded to your application or emailed to our office are NOT official.   Scores must be sent directly to the University of Minnesota from the appropriate test agency. Official scores will appear in your application AFTER you submit the application and pay the application fee. Please allow 4-6 weeks for scores to be matched to your application record. If you have already submitted an application and want to find out if we have received your official scores, log into your application and check your application status page.

Note:  The information above is for applicants or current students in master's or doctoral programs only.

If you are a student seeking a bachelor's degree, please visit the undergraduate admissions website.