Before you Apply to Graduate, please read some important information regarding the process for graduate students. Unlike undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees are awarded monthly.
Indicate the Month you Intend to Graduate
Please be aware that you will not be able to choose a graduation month via the online Application for Degree; it will list only the term (i.e., spring, summer, fall). Instead, the Office of the Registrar assumes your graduation month based on the timing of your submitted application. All Applications for Degree must be submitted by the first day of the month in which you would like to graduate. You may submit your Application for Degree only once. If you need to change your expected graduation term or month after you’ve applied, please email the UMD Graduate Office at [email protected] (M Ed, MEEd, MEHS, M Eng, MPS, MTAG, MTRES programs) or Graduate Student Services and Progress (all other programs) at [email protected].
|Intended graduation month||Graduation term to select
in the application for degree
|When to submit
the application for degree
|January||Spring||December 2 - January 1|
|February||Spring||January 2 - February 1|
|March||Spring||February 2 - March 1|
|April||Spring||March 2 - April 1|
|May||Spring||April 2 - May 1|
|June||Summer||May 2 - June 1|
|July||Summer||June 2 - July 1|
|August||Summer||July 2 - August 1|
|September||Fall||August 2 - September 1|
|October||Fall||September 2 - October 1|
|November||Fall||October 2 - November 1|
|December||Fall||November 2 - December 1|
Update Your Personal Information
Prior to completing the Application for Degree, please confirm and update (if necessary) the name to be printed on your diploma and the mailing address for your diploma. This information can be updated via the My Info tab in MyU by selecting the edit pencil icon next to your name and address information. If a degree name and diploma address do not appear, click on "add a new name" or "add a new address." If you do not enter a diploma name and address, your primary/legal name will be used for your diploma and your diploma will be mailed to your permanent (i.e., home) address. More information about estimated diploma mailing time frames and FedEx options.
Complete the Application for Degree
- Log into MyU and select the Academics tab.
- Select the Degree Progress sub-tab.
- Click the Apply to Graduate link at the bottom of the page.
- If you do not see the link, or if it is grayed out, it is likely that you have not completed a prior degree progress step. Contact your program or the Grad Office for guidance.
- Select the Apply for Graduation link.
- Complete this step for each degree program if you have more than one.
- Choose your Expected Graduation Term from the drop-down menu.
- See the table above to determine the correct graduation term.
- Read the graduation instructions, and then click Continue.
- Verify that the information is correct, and then click Submit Application.
- View the confirmation screen.
- Go to the My Info tab in MyU and check that your degree name and diploma address are correct.