Change of Status

For students who are currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University.

In all cases, contact the major program to which you are applying for information about program content, deadlines, and whether additional materials (such as GRE scores or letters of recommendation) are needed.

Complete a new application if you want to:

  • add a new program, change to a different program, add or change a track, or change to a higher degree level.

Submit the completed application online through Apply Yourself. A $75 application fee is required.

Complete the Express Change Of Status (COS) Application if you want to:

  • Drop from a Ph.D. and pursue a Master's only
    (in the same program your Ph.D. was in)
  • Add your first track to the major in which you are enrolled 
    (if you are not already in a track)
  • drop a track
    (without adding another track)

Submit the completed Express COS application to [email protected].  No fee is required.

If you have questions, please contact the UMD Graduate Office at 218-726-7523, or [email protected]. You may also contact Graduate Admissions at 612-625-3014, or [email protected].